Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Monday, January 24, 2005

Phoenix

Poetry Renewal has risen from the ashes! If you like poetry with a conservative bent, or poetry above the sappy, you can find it here. This is a formalist site; editor Charles Weatherford stresses formal style and likes experimentation with obscure and unusual forms. Poetry Renewal is attempting a renaissance of traditional verse.

Poetry has traditionally been an important art form in many cultures and eras. It has died a rather pathetic death in these United States in recent years thanks to the libs domination over the genre. It was not always so; poetry in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries was considered a major branch of the Humanities, and was often used to satirize a political opponent or movement. It was a major propoganda tool, and had a venerable position in many elections. The twentieth century saw it`s long, slow demise thanks to ``free verse`` poetry and avante-guarde liberal usurpation. Today, poetry has no appeal to the masses except in song lyrics. It has become the haunt of pointy-headed academics or romantic little girls.

Sites like Poetry Renewal are attempting to revive the old forms and revitalize the entire genre. It`s good to see they are back!

Click on the title of this post to be taken to their website. There you will find yours truly has a Pantoum (which is a Malay form of poem, in honor of the tsunami victims) published. Those who have followed this site (you, may loyal fan)will recognize it; I had named it THE LIBERAL but decided to change the title to Partisan at the last moment (I wish I hadn`t; still, it fit more than just liberals, it fit any frothing-at-the-mouth partisan).

|

1 Comments:

Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Tim, I enjoyed that poetry site - and I've bookmarked it for the future. Your poem was really interesting, I wondered as I read it what created that strange sensation and mood -- and then I realized how the lines were repeated in successive stanzas in a set order. It made it very haunting in a way -- the repetition -- but each time with a slightly different meaning as its position and context was slightly changed. Not easy to do I'm sure. My niece writes poetry and sometimes her poetry follows similar schemes and patterns. I loved the ideas and images of the poem -- and enjoyed reading some of the others as well. I'm a big poetry fan so this will be a real treat. I'll tell my niece about it too.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com