Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Tragedy and Baby Blue

I`m sorry, I really am. I just can`t help myself; Maureen Dowd is just too easy to pick on (she looks like a nose-everyone`s always picking on her!) Actually, I`m starting to worry about the Blue Faerie because now she is talking about suicide, and given her extra Blue mood these days she may need psychiatric intervention. I fear our gal may be contemplating doing something rash (other than her threat to rip Frosty the Snowman`s face off, that is.)

It seems MoDo decided to skip a production of Romeo and Juliet the other day so she could bitch about it, and is trying to liken Shakespeare to Clint Eastwood. You can read her explanation here. Our Blue honey seems to have taken umbrage with criticism of Eastwood`s movie Million Dollar Baby because said critics are conservative, and criticize the suicide option employed by the main characters. The Dowdy one seems to find a healthy romanticism in the suicide of Romeo and Juliet, and believes Shakespeare will be next up to be mowed by the Bush`s. Actually, I fear her Freudian slip is peeking out of her Freudian pants suit, and we may have to worry about how far the Blue One may carry her schoolgirl fantasies.

She seems to be arguing that conservatives don`t understand art, and tries to make her point with R&J, as well as the Greek Tragedies, but it`s fairly obvious who it is who doesn`t understand Tragedy. The suicide of Romeo and Juliet is not excused as a good or right thing. The fact is, it is painful to watch because of the great sense of loss. Shakespeare did not intend this to be in support of suicide which, I gather (I haven`t seen the movie) Eastwood is excusing as right (and noble) under certain circumstances (chronic illness). MoDo just doesn`t get it; suicide is often what makes a tragedy so, well, tragic! Conservatives aren`t complaining because they aren`t ``uplifted`` by Baby, they are complaining because there is nothing courageous or noble about killing yourself-especially killing yourself to duck out of a bad or painful situation. This movie seems to be making excuses for taking the easy way out; there is little of classic Tragedy in that.

Our girl just never seems to get the point; Maureen shows her cluelessness in so many ways. Take her comment about George Bush Sr. stealing from Clint the line ``read my lips, no new taxes`` for example-strange, I don`t recall the High Plains Drifter offering accounting advice, or Dirty Harry threatening bad guys with ``go ahead, fill out my 1099!``

Our gal sees Red State conspiracy everywhere, including nefarious plots by ex-Presidents and married folks. She frets about Virginia allowing people to have Traditional Marriage embossed on their car`s license plates, and she jokes with a friend about how they should have sketches of two miserable people accompanying the moniker. Again, she is showing her true colors; me thinks she doth protest too much!

Maureen is contemplating the wrong tragedy; instead of Romeo and Juliet she would find Faust more germane. Faust, if you all remember, made a deal with the Devil. Maureen, unfortunately made a similar deal-this one with liberalism, and feminism. These are her twin diaboli, and, like all deals with the Prince of Darkness, requires her to pay a terrible price. She has told us in past columns that her liberalism has estranged her from her family. She has said that her feminism has kept her from finding a husband. She hates Christmas. She broods and suffers because her political views are slowly shredding in the meat grinder of history.

Poor Maureen. She is trapped in her own personal gulag of despair and longing, and she will never escape because she wedded her soul to that tyrant, the false god of liberalism. I fear for her; I may be joking about this suicide talk being Freudian, but I may be on to something, too; she certainly seems to have an unhealthy interest in the subject. She needs to seek redemption.

Remember Maureen, blue is the color of death, and Romeo and Juliet lay cold and blue at the end.


|

5 Comments:

Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Hey -- saying "go ahead, fill out my 1099!" is a thousand times more scary than threatening with a gun!! I think you are on to something here with old Mo Dowdy. Poor Mo -- I'm beginning to feel sorry for her. And she is getting to be like that scab you just can't stop yourself from picking. In her mind she's made all the right choices - so why is she still so miserable? Loved reading this -- thanks - Aussie

7:50 PM  
Blogger TJW said...

Last week I read in Mo’s column that male nipples were somehow proof positive of the theory of evolution. Ms. Dowd utilizing that squiggly reasoning managed to find a way to connect the dots and conclude that George W. Bush is from Texas and therefore every thing he does is bad...Or something. At least that’s what I took away from the piece. If I’m going to keep reading her, I’m may need heavy doses of anti-psychotic medication, before and after!

I heard once that Mo woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of a gorgeous man pounding on her door. Yep, she had to get out of bed and let him out.

Sorry, Bad Joke…

1:43 AM  
Blogger Ugh said...

The queen of pop psychology herself - she would know about suicide. The fact that she views it as a viable alternative to actually dealing with hardship doesn't surprize me a bit. She has got to be on the edge of this ultimate decision herself following the rocky November she went through. I guess I should have read her piece, but I gave her up for Lent.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

"This movie seems to be making excuses for taking the easy way out; there is little of classic Tragedy in that."

Please see the movie first and then tell me it doesn't have a feel of classic tragedy to it. And if you do that, maybe I'll then suffer and read MoDo's column, though I believe you'll be the one who is more enriched by the experience. ;)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

Thanks for checking out my site too. I highly recommend you see Million Dollar Baby. Not that I'm any kind of expert, but it was one of the best movies, most moving, I've seen in years. I fear it will lose to the spectacle of Aviator, which bored me to tears except when Cate Blanchette/Katharine Hepburn was onscreen.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com