Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Dirt on the Yurt

I have returned from my Yurting, and had a good time (although my wife would certainly have enjoyed the Ritz-Carlton better). The weather was hot, the bugs were biting, and the lake was ice-cold, but I managed to get my wife to go camping, and that makes it all worth while!

We were delayed by endless road construction, and what should have taken 4 hours took 6. The campground was crowded with holiday merrymakers, and our host was a nice guy, although he was stressed and harried by the endless flood of campers arriving. We stayed at a place called Caplinger Woods, which lay on the Sac river just a couple of miles below the dam for Lake Stockton. The river was low and muddy because the Corps of Engineers had to stabilize the water levels on the lake, but it was warm enough to swim-which surprised me, since it is water coming from the bottom of the lake. You couldn`t really swim at our campgrounds; it was just too shallow for anything but wading. There was a small mill dam with a mill-pond upstream, but I didn`t go there because it was too crowded.

The Yurt itself was pretty nice; it was constructed of a wooden frame with a circular lattice wall, and roof rafters which hook to a wire woven into the top of the latticework. The other end of the rafters connect to a round collar at the top of the roof, and a large bubble skylight rests on top of the collar. The Yurt had electricity, and a ceiling fan could be turned on beneath the skylight to bring in fresh air (the skylight opens with a crank.) Windows are sewn into the Yurt`s cover, and they opened and closed with flaps like any other tent. It sat on a wooden deck, so it had a real floor. This, along with a lockable wooden door made the Yurt closer to a cabin then tent.

Inside there was a futon, a double bunk bed, a table and chairs, and a dresser. The owner could easily have installed a window air conditioner had he wanted to-and given the 90* plus afternoons I dearly wish he had! Still, it wasn`t too bad.

Unfortunately, some moths and a junebug got into the Yurt, and my wife had a miserable night (she hates bugs) since the junebug kept buzzing around. I would have slept better had I not been worried about her, but what the heck!

We wound up not spending a lot of time outside the next day; we traveled the area, checking out some of the small, historic communities. I was particularly eager to visit Osceola, which was burned to the ground in 1861 by James Lane`s Kansas Jayhawker. It was odd; we visited the town square and the courthouse had an historical marker on the front lawn, but no mention was made of Lane`s atrocity. I had wanted to see remnants of the town from before the torching, but there were none to be found. We ended up visiting antique shops and a cheese factory, instead.

(The cheese factory was fun; it was stuffed with people who ate the free samples like pigs at a trough!)

Our last night we had to move out of the Yurt (due to guests who booked ahead of us) and into the teepee. The teepee was, well, a rather shabby affair without a drip-cloth inside, and with no electricity. As night fell, my wife became more apprehensive (the open smoke-hole and lack of a door disturbed her, as did the moths fluttering around.) I had brought an inflatable mattress, but she simply couldn`t bring herself to sleep on the ground, so she spent the night in the car. I slept like a baby, since I had the mattress all to myself!

The only problem was that the teepee was the last campsite on the trail to the millpond, and across the millpond was another campground. This camp was full of rowdies, since it had no facilities (except a port-a-pottie) and was probably very cheap, and people from our camp went over to party with this bunch. They all came staggering back to camp about midnight or so, drunk and dazed, and they ALL stumbled through the teepee site. Luckily, nobody messed with any of my gear, but a few of them decided to make a biological pit-stop not far from my camp. I guess that`s to be expected on a holiday weekend.

At any rate, it was a fun time (at least for me!) Blogging may still be a bit light until I get everything put away and recover.

|

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aussiegirl said:

Oh, goodie -- I was hoping you would give us a blow by blow of your yurting vacation. Here's me thinking that yurts are things that Mongol nomads use for houses. Somehow I don't think I have been lured by your descriptions to take up the practice any time soon. Now I suggest that since we had the "his" version of this dream getaway, we now get the "hers" version. I'll be waiting for that, as I'm sure all your female readers will be too. Who knows, this may turn into the "Rashomon" of camping tales. Other than the bugs, the heat, the rowdies, the teepee and sleeping in the car (for your wife, that is), it sounds like a delightful way to spend a long weekend :-)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Alnot said...

I was glad you got some time to spend away with your wife. I too would love to hear her version of events. I am headed East from Yuma soon. I finally got the call from aunt Ann in West Virginia.If I am up near St Louis should I make arrangements to meet? Did I forget to send you pictures of my Suzi? (Suzuki Grand Vitara six cylinder four wheel drive)I have another friend in the state of Misery named Floyd that I may stop by and see also.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

Thanks, Aussiegirl; I`m sure the wife and I will do something she likes, and I`ll be sure to post it up!

Absolutely, Al! Drop me an e-mail when you`re coming and we`ll get together!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timothy, I ran across your writing's this morning as I was doing one of my ocassional searches for news from Caplinger Woods. My wife and I built that campground out of the woods in 2001. We ran it trough 2004 when we sold it to the current owner. We bought and erected the yurt and it was a great marketing tool for us. We loved to spend nights in it ourselves in the fall when the weather was much cooler. I agree that the teepee leaves much to be desired as far as comfort and security go. That location would be great for cabin. I know the clientel and numbers have changed since we sold it. When we were there we catered to a small group of return clients and if we had more than 75-80 people there on a weekend we slept very little. We kept the restrooms and grounds impeccable. Times change. Did you rent a canoe from Ron and Goldie and float down stream? That is a great trip too if there is enough water. Well enough of this old man's rambling. I enjoyed reading the review of your experience. Thanks for sharing.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Derrick & Donna said...

Hi
We are the current managers of Caplinger Woods and would like to apologize for the rowdies that came through your campsite on your last night with us. We try hard to keep that sort of activity out of the campground.
The lake is up and the Corp has already ran the water. We expect the river to be up and the fishing to be great this season.
We would like to offer you one free night in the Yurt.If your wife can handle another camping trip. We hope that you will be able to visit us again.
Derrick & Donna

10:42 AM  
Blogger Midwest Campers said...

Hello, I know this blog is a year old but I was wondering why this beautiful location keeps changing hands every 3 years. Derrick & Donna, I see you are selling the place after owning it only 3 years. May I ask why?
Kim
misc@hughes.net

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have stayed at Caplinger Woods myself. I am a female who enjoys camping and prefers anything except tents due to the hard ground.
I have stayed in the yurt and travel trailers available there.
First off,let me say that as a woman I truly love the outdoors but not the critters. You have to be the right kind of female to camp. Not saying that women are wimps but,some do not like this type of atmosphere. If I were a man I would have to think twice about taking my wife to a place that does not have comfy beds,coffee in room,blow dryers or even a hot meal in the morning but,for those women who don't mind getting up in the morning with the messed up hair do's or the smell of fresh air this is THE place to camp. My husband and I have stayed here during the winter (November) and during the early summer. I love the fact that this place is pretty secluded, right next to the water and the host's have always been extremely nice, whether it was Donna and Derrick or the former owners, they were always eager to please their customer's.
The yurt could use an air conditioner but, hey that's would be a luxury ....you're camping!
I don't know if Derrick is still planning on building the camping cabins but,it would be nice to see them built for people who can't handle the real camping experience.
Thank you for allowing me to give a woman's point of view here. I hope it helped for future campers.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com