Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Friday, October 13, 2006

Hiatus in the Hills

Birdblog will be taking a short hiatus, as I am going out of town. My wife`s sister and brother and their families have rented a cabin at Big Springs, and we are all going to spend a couple of days enjoying the cool October weather.

Big Springs is about 15 minutes from ``the Ozark Hilton`` (my humble tarpaper shack in the woods) and is a beautiful spot in the Missouri mountains. Named for an enormous freshwater spring which feeds into the Current River, this park is part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, and is one of the prettiest spots in the state. To get there, you have to take Skyline Drive from Van Buren, which is a harrowing mountain road with a spectacular view of the town of Van Buren and the valley below.

The cabins are nice rustic log structures with enormous stone fireplaces and electricity and kitchen facilities. Two years ago they decided to keep them open after Labor Day, and we went in November. Unfortunately, they have no heat and the fireplaces are for ambience only. It was cold, cold, cold! I was inches from leaving for my own smoking abode (smokey but warm!) This year I am bringing a couple of electric space-heaters.

I`ll be gone until Sunday, so I won`t be posting until then. I`m probably going to head down to my own cabin later in the week (after my birthday) and so blogging will be light this week. Please be patient.

Uh, you might want to send condolences to my wife; she has to spend two days doing this dreadful stuff!

|

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time in the wilds. If I could not get out to some weird place twice a year I might go mad.

I will miss your writing and analysis, though.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com