Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Monday, March 26, 2007

Roofing a Nominal Success (I Didn`t Get Killed)

It seems I survived my cabin-roofing experiment. The steel sheets went up fairly easily, although I could only tack them down where I could reach so the top portions aren`t exactly secure. The big problem was the ridge cap; the cabin was build on posts, with foundations as deep as I could dig in that pile of rock I call my land, and one end of the cabin has, unfortunately, sunk. Also, my carpentry skills leave something to be desired, and so the panels don`t square up at the ridge. I thought the ridge cap would cover this adequately, but it doesn`t sit very well at all and I can`t think of any way to secure the stupid thing without breaking my neck. Perhaps a taller ladder?

We had a fair amount of rain, and it was clear the cabin withstood several good showers without leaking despite only having half a roof. The panels will keep it that much dryer. I threw rope over the ridge cap and tied the cap down as a stopgap measure. I may have to put tarps back up over the roof! It doesn`t matter; it still looks better than many of the full-time residences in those thar parts.

It`s amazing I didn`t fall off the ladder and break my neck! I said a Hail Mary every time I climbed to the top, and it worked; I didn`t fall once!

Unfortunately, removing the old tarps exposed lots of gaps, and wasps were taking a keen interest on Sunday. I fear they may settle in permanently, which would be quite a bother. We have a pretty good relationship; they don`t bother me and I don`t bother them. In fact, one of them once got rather friendly with me, sitting next to me on the couch like a cat or dog. I don`t mind them, but I really don`t want them taking over, either.

What would happen if the yellow-jackets that had gotten after me were to settle in the cabin? Those little SOB`s chased me clear off my property the last time I tangled with them!

At any rate, things are proceeding at a glacial pace, but they are proceeding. My next plan is to put up gutters, and to harvest the rainwater so I won`t have to tote so much from home. I don`t intend on drinking any, but it will be handy to have some washwater. It will also help keep foundation poles from rotting...

Now, if I can just keep the mice from chewing up everything I bring down!

|

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, when you collect the rainwater, be sure and cover your collector with a fine mesh screen to keep 'skeeters from laying their eggs in the water and to keep debris out.

You are being challenged, but all in all it sounds like a lot of fun!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

Thanks, GM!

I planned on screening and covering the water, plus putting a little bleach in it to keep it clean.

You`re right; I enjoy the challenge of this project!

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com